Thursday, July 15, 2010

Assembling a fixed-wheel

It was mid-June when I finally made up my mind to assemble that heap of pieces into something similar to a bike. First of all I want to state that I had not the sligthest experience in fixed riding but a bike is a bike and a fixie is a bike with less mechanical complications than an ordinary bike so, theoretically, it should pose very little problem even to an unexperienced fixie-builder.
The first task was to retrieve the frame for my parents's garage. I found it in a corner under some layers of dust. It happened to be an old Romani , in fact it was New Old Stock from a closing down bike shop. After some clean up the frame seemed to be in good condition but for some rusty spots and a partly scratched paint. There was no fork though but some time ago I'd managed to get the last gracefully raked steel fork from another bike shop. It was polished steel and more or less matched the "champagned" coloured frame.
Installing the head set was a cinch

No comments:

Post a Comment